What Is the Federal Skilled Worker Program?
Citizenship and Immigration Canada accepts applications under the Express Entry Program for Skilled Professionals interested in migrating to Canada. Applicant must have a profile in the Express Entry pool and must also meet the selection criteria of the respective federal skilled worker program. There are three programs under which an application can be filed.
• Federal Skilled Worker Class
• Federal Skilled Trades Class
• Canadian Experience Class
Selection criteria are relevant after an application is picked up from Express Entry pool. At the same time, an applicant must meet the selection criteria of the respective program to get an invitation to apply.
Point System and Selection Criteria
Language – Principal Applicant (Maximum 28 Points)
An applicant can get a maximum of 24 points in the English language and can claim 4 points under the French language factor. This is possible when an applicant mentions English as the first language at the time of filing an application. An applicant with a high IELTS/CELPIP score can claim up to 24 points.
• An applicant must have at least a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of 7 to qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Class program
• Take Approved language tests in English or French an applicant must prove proficiency in all the four parameters; speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
Age – Principal Applicant (Maximum 12 points)
The preference age of the applicant is between 18 and 35 years. Applicants belonging to this band of age will be given the maximum points. An applicant with higher age will get lesser points.
• 18-35 years – 12 Points
• 36 years – 11 points
• 37 years – 10 points
• 38 years – 9 points
This pattern will continue to follow and an applicant at an age of 46 will get just one point. An applicant older than 46 years of age will not get any point.
Work Experience (Maximum – 15 Points)
An applicant must have at least one year of experience in an occupation in O, A or B category (NOC classification). An applicant will get more scores with more work experience. An application under Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) is accepted only if the applicant’s occupation is permitted under NOC classification.
• 1 Year Work Experience – 9 Points
• 2-3 Years Works Experience – 11 Points
• 4-5 Years Works Experience – 13 Points
• 6 Years Works Experience – 15 Points
Educational and Professional Qualification (Maximum 25 points)
An applicant will be awarded points based on his/her education. For example, a doctoral-level applicant will get 25 points and an applicant with a master’s degree will get 23 points. The assessment of the education degree will be done by a Canadian credential assessment agency. An assessment will confirm the applicant’s qualification is at par with the Canadian education standard.
• Doctoral Level – 25 Points
• Master’s lever or Professional Degree – 23 Points
• Two or more post-secondary credential, one of which is a three year or longer post-secondary credential – 22 Points
• Three-year or longer post-secondary credential – 21 Points
• Two-year post-secondary credential – 19 Points
• One-year post-secondary credential – 15 Points
• Secondary school credential – 5 Points
Arranged Employment (Maximum 10 Points)
As per the latest changes, Labor Market Opinion (LMO) will supersede Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO). Now employers need to apply at HRSDC for an LMO. This is an attempt to curb the fake job offers and reassure the credibility of the program.
Adaptability (Maximum 10 Points)
• An applicant with a prior work experience in Canada can get up to 10 points.
• Or an applicant with Canadian Education can get up to 5 points.
• Or applicant with Canadian education and Canadian work experience can get up to 10 points
• Or applicant’s family member (blood relation) living in Canada can get an additional 5 points.
• A spouse with a CLB 4 level English or French proficiency will help the principal applicant to get 5 adaptability points. A spouse must appear for an IELTS or TCF exam and score the required marks.
An applicant must get a minimum of 67 points out of 100. There can be changes in the selection criteria as well as point allocation without any notice. An applicant must check the latest updates.
As one of the recognized leading Canada immigration consultants, we provide unparalleled consultancy support to professionals from all walks of life. Our expertise with the owner-operator pathway has helped budding entrepreneurs to realize their Canadian dream. We’re uniquely positioned in the industry with our presence in Canada, to assist you firmly and advise you correctly on several Canadian immigration programs.
Through our established network of licensed professionals, we help to materialize your dream immigration to Canada from India, through our ability to locate suitable businesses for sale in Canada. You can undoubtedly rely on our 25 years of combined industry experience recognized by the Canadian legal community to complete your immigration requirements.
For more information and immigration updates on Canada immigration programs, you can write to us at email@example.com or call us on +(91) 783 838 0097 We at I.I.T.M are dedicated to responding to all of your immigration-related queries.